Wednesday, October 27, 2010

How Plugged in Are You?

For the past few days I have been watching, learning, and observing students on campus. Yes, this may sounds a little creepy, but I was observing how "connected" my small campus is. While adventuring out on the 10 minute walk to my first class, my first instinct was to plug in my headphones and listen to "Whip My Hair" by Willow Smith, but then I hesitated and decided to unplug from the music and listen to the car horns, and engage in early morning pre caffeine conversations with my classmates.


During this quick walk I observed many people listening to their various MP3 players, texting, talking, and playing games on their cell phones. With a quick "hello" to people they know and the occasional stop and chat I observed that most people did one thing: stay plugged in.

As a College student I myself am plugged in almost all the time. Emails, texts, Facebook, Twitter all on one device I sometimes catch myself needing a break. We are constantly refreshing our Mozilla Firefox to see if someone has "posted" or "tweeted" on ones profile.



Last night I had the chance to unplug myself from technology and read a book for an hour or so, yes read a non school related book. At first my thoughts were, well what if someone important tries to get ahold of me.... it is sad that I myself can't keep my thoughts off of technology for more than a few minutes, I either can change my habits or limit the amount of time I am "plugged in" or continue to be engulfed in technology




No comments:

Post a Comment