Monday, October 25, 2010

Who are you calling UGGly?








This morning I woke up to freezing temperatures in my apartment as I had failed to close a window and the  temperature was at a blustery 35 degrees.... this called for one thing as I slowly got dressed and prepared for this cold drizzly day... UGG's 


As an avid UGG wearer ... I believe I am on my fourth or fifth pair... including an ugly magenta pair that I wore freshmen year in high school. UGG Boot's were never meant for women, men, and children to sport in the cold weather or around town in the winter. UGG's became popular in the 1960's for competitive surfers who used the footwear to keep their feet warm after their competition. After UGG Holdings, Inc. was sold in 1995 to Deckers corporation, UGG's emerged as a fashion statement and trend. Celebrities were seen wearing them first on the coast of California. Soon after teens, soccer moms, and Wall Street executives were all seen sporting this cozy boots on the weekends or lounging around in. 


For me UGG's are go to footwear when the temperature is below 50 degrees, which in Spokane is quite often. But for other's they see UGG's as a ridiculous and "UGGly" piece of footwear. I hear this mostly from boys, especially in my demographic of 18-24. They view the boots as unattractive and do not understand why they are so popular with their female peers. This does not mean that UGG's are not popular with certain men, UGG's has expanded exponentially since 2006 when they started to be all the buzz in the US shoe market. From the point of a consumer I have seen UGG's grow before my eyes. 


On a recent trip to Nordstrom's I counted five UGG displays in just the women's shoe department. The boots ranged from more fashionable styles that were upwards of $200 to slippers, mocassins, and the classic short boot. 


Opinions are quite different when it comes to this brand of footwear. Some may say they are ugly, gross,  and unattractive, but others including myself have to say that they are cozy, cute, and comfortable. 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlrVySqacQc



No comments:

Post a Comment