Friday, October 8, 2010

Who's Following You?

As Social media expands and progresses at a rapid pace more and more people are engulfing themselves into this social phenomena that is spreading across the world. Different age groups, cultural groups, and people from all backgrounds are jumping on the train and one has to wonder why are we broadcasting our lives for public display? Why do we want people to know what we are doing at every minute of every hour?

As a college student I myself participate in many facets of social media. It is the communication airways of my generation. I am broadcasting my life on the web for others to see as well as voice their opinions on what I do and say and even how I look on a particular day. My life as well as my peers are not kept a secret one bit.

One area of social media that I participate in on a daily basis and am constantly checking is Twitter. I joined Twitter the Summer of 2009 when it was just catching on but did not actively start "tweeting" until last Fall when other peers starting being active on the Twitter scene. I felt odd tweeting when I would ask well if my friends are not reading who is? Who are all these followers I have?


I sent myself a picture of my twitter profile from my iPhone. Who says you need anything other than a smart phone to survive these days. Right now I have 125 followers but follow 433 which seems a little obsessive. I follow not only celebrities which many Tweeters do but also my friends, news organizations, local restaurants, shops, workout tips as well as celebrity personal trainers and discount websites that give you the first look at upcoming deals. Twitter is a great way to self promote, advertise, and put yourself out there for free.

Such celebrities as Kim Kardashian is paid in upwards of $20,000 for tweeting about a specific product or a promotion that is going on. With over 5 million followers her tweets are read all over the world by her followers then by word of mouth from her followers. It is an advertising gold mind.

Twitter has been call a "fad" or a way for our culture to disconnect personal communication even more. Twitter in my opinion has advanced communication and can get you in contact with people, places, and networking like no one else. I mean who doesn't want to know what President Obama ate for lunch? 

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-march-2-2009/twitter-frenzy

No comments:

Post a Comment