Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Who's In the Relationship Here?



My heart broke a little bit yesterday when I found out that Courtney Cox and David Arquette were separated. I have always been a fan of both of their work and have become invested in their relationship. But why? This is a personal matter for the two of them and their daughter Coco? Why was I so heartbroken when I have never met either of them in person?

I have followed them on Twitter, seen pictures of them in US Weekly and watched countless of episodes as Cox portrays obsessive and OCD Monica Geller in Friends. I have never met the Cox-Arquette family in person but have always admired them so why is it affecting me so much?

As a culture we put our energy in to someones life. We connect with maybe one or two characteristics that the specific celebrity possesses and thus become enthralled. We watch their every move, every bite of pizza and ask "Why can't that be me?"

This past August my family traveled to the Aloha state for some R&R. My Dad sat by Eddie Murphy's brother on a flight and rumored that Eddie along with a motley crew would be arriving at the same resort we were staying at the next day. Eddie arrived along with numerous children...... and the aura and vibe that was around him was hypnotic. People could not believe that they were surfing or eating sushi next to Murphy. Those people, myself include, who now can say "Oh yeah Murphy was staying at the same resort as me on Maui and we totally made eye contact" are invested in his life. They want to keep updated on his life.

As I write this I have began to wonder, "Why am I interested in Cox and Arquette's separation?" It does not affect be directly or indirectly for that matter. As a human being we try to relate to these celebrities and their marital troubles and are glad that hey, at least that isnt me.

No comments:

Post a Comment