Sunday, November 14, 2010

hometown hero

I have only lived in three towns my whole life: LaCrosse, Wisconsin; Portland, and Spokane. Portland is where I am from when people ask me that question, and in college that question is asked quite often. Living in Portland from age 6 until I left for Gonzaga August of 2008 I never truly appreciated my city until I left.

Going through your teens in Portland and young adult stage at times I thought there was NOTHING to do or nothing cool for a 16 year old.... no I do not want to see a movie again no I do not want to do this no no no no no no. Going through my normal routine and going to my normal places of activities I did not see the city as anything else then where I was from or where my whole family is from.




Moving to Spokane was quite a change I didn't realize how much I appreciated the metropolitan feel and atmosphere of Portland. How much I had taken advantage of the Pearl District, the culture, the arts, the up and coming food scene. I missed driving from my house down burnside and seeing Mt. Hood in all of its glory beaming over the city. Now I know I am getting a little nostalgic, probably because it is very near Thanksgiving and I am getting a little homesick and ready to go back to my great city.

Now going to school at Gonzaga has allowed me to become great friends with kids who are from Western Washington and many who are from Seattle. I love all of these friends dearly as well as I love Seattle, but I keep quite when they talk about how great Seattle is because I know that they are missing the hidden gem, Portland.

1 comment:

  1. Portland is a hidden gem my dear... but unfortunately, I think Seattle has stolen a part of my heart. My dearest, Sarah, I enjoy your blog entries.. It brings me joy to know you're well. It's barely enough for a Schneider-fix... so a phone chat is way past overdue. Xoxo, A

    ReplyDelete