Monday, November 8, 2010

Do I Need a Boyfriend?

I went home about a month ago for my Mom’s birthday and big birthday bash and could not count how many times I was asked if I have a boyfriend by different friends and family members. Why is this a big deal to them, I mean I am 20 years old and have the whole dating pool in front of me.

Dating in college….. this is something that some of my girlfriends and I talk about quite frequently. Dating in college is very different than High School or after college. “Dating” could mean solely hanging out on the weekends after 2 am and going on a “date” to the cafeteria in the morning for greasy eggs to cure your hangover or it could mean an actual serious and committed relationship, which in my opinion is harder to find in these four years of crazy schedules and sole searching.

Being single throughout college at times I have yearned for a boyfriend or significant other especially when some other friends are always with their boyfriend and cant stop talking about them. But then it dawns on me, you wouldn’t be able to have as much free time as you desire, you wouldn’t be able to do whatever you would like at all times. By Junior year I have gotten into my own schedule, made my own friends, and found my likes/dislikes on campus and in classes. This is the year to really key in and focus on my major and minors and gain internships and pursue what I would like to do in the future. Is this possible with a boyfriend? Yes I believe so but at the same time I believe that college is a time for soul searching and really finding you are. I know some couples that have been dating since the first week of Freshmen year and have isolated themselves and have not grown as individuals and found their niche on campus or in their specific fields.

I thank god sometimes that I am not that couple I see and sometimes gag that are making out in the Starbucks line or always holding hands. Even though at times I even yearn for a significant other I have learned that college is a time to grow, mature, develop as an individual not a couple. I am happy as a single young woman who is surrounded by quality friends and family members.



1 comment:

  1. Amen! Finding the right person and the time to even look for them is ridiculously hard and you have to prioritize. We're here for school, not love, and dammit, I'm just fine being single! :D

    ReplyDelete