Monday, March 28, 2011

teen pregnancy free for all

Wherever I look today on websites, the television at the gym, blogs, etc teen pregnancy shows are everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE! Teen pregnancy seems to be a "trend" in the media... more and more people prevalent in the public eye seem to be making a trip to the maternity section even if they haven't taken a trip to the DMV.


1. There was a Secret Life of an American Teenager marathon on at the gym, and from the sub titles all the teens at this typical American high school could talk about was who was having a baby. Was I the only one that went to a High School that no girl was clearly pregnant ? 

2. Dr. Phil's show today was Child of a Child, a take on young teen mothers, who are clearly still children, raising their own children. I saw ten minutes of this show and had to turn it. The so called mothers on the show who ranged from the ages of 16 to 18 all lived with their parents and seemed to neglect their children or duties that may be part of motherhood.

3. My all time favorite teen pregnancy/ mom show has to be.... TEEN MOM. Now this season is basically a shot to the head to watch compared to the previous Teen Mom series, but it still brings drama, excitement, and horror. As I caught up on my gossip websites this afternoon headlines of "Teen Mom Janelle Evans in a Brawl", was all over Perez, People, E!, Us. Now this is no surprise to me, Janelle and her boyfriend Kiefer stink of trouble.



Is it me or have there never been so many teen pregnancy shows on television before? Unplanned teen pregnancy is very prevalent in the United States, but what message are these shows telling?
I have to wonder if all of these shows scripted, talk shows, as well as reality shows, are providing any message whether negative or positive?

No comments:

Post a Comment