Wednesday, March 23, 2011

-parental units-


thanks to school and a busy social life i have not posted on my blog in two weeks! eeekkkkk
need this time to get out some stress!

on to the topic....
I have a very close relationship with my mom. Being the only girl with two older brothers, I grew up always hanging out with my mom at bunco games, auction meetings, the grocery store, and now the athletic club where gossip among 40 year old women spreads faster than Gonzaga!   My mom and I are very differently physically she is 5'4, petite, with no bossums, and I am close to 5'10 and well, well endowed. As i got older and my brothers were at college and my dad traveled (250 + days of the year) my mom and grew closer and developed a friend relationship but at the same time i can turn to my mom for anything including celebrity gossip.

Now I do not know when my fascination started with popular culture and celebrity culture, I have a book on Prince William from 6th grade, so maybe then? All of my friends know (and probably some teachers) that i love love love popular culture. At first everyone laughed at me saying it is dumb that you know so much about celebrities but do not know all of the elements of the periodic table.... but I have geared my college and hopefully post undergrad work in popular culture.

Right now my parents are in Los Angeles staying at a nice hotel in Beverly Hills where many celebrities and crew stay on a nightly basis. Where am I... in Spokane. I wish I could hop off the plane at LAX but that is not in the cards right now.

Now my mom and I discuss pop culture an odd amount for her age... as she once texted me about  Chuck Bass' eyebrows. Comments like that sometimes make me wonder about her.

When I was home for Spring Break a few weeks ago we had quite the routine of watching some show on Bravo each and every night, (Bravo is my thing. In love with Andy Cohen) then discuss the nights episode(s) afterwards.

Never before had I noticed that my own mother, was so into popular culture as much as me. Had she created this monster, or vise-versa? Yes we did watch Entertainment Tonight a lot when my dad/brothers were out of town before dinner.... but recently I have been asking myself, am I turning into my mother as I did laundry this afternoon and watched Oprah, or is she living vicariously through her almost 21 year old daughter?

example : text I recieved from my mom at 12:10 this afternoon: OMG on elliptical next to Mick Jaggar!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment